- About AMP
- AMP Community
- Art News & Media
- Online Resources
- Websites We Like
- AMP Newsletter Archives
- Search AMP
18th Street Arts Center is seeking candidates for the position of
Director of Communications and Outreach
Full-time, salaried, exempt, starting range $40,000 - $50,000 plus full
18th Street Arts Center's mission is to provoke public dialogue
through contemporary art-making. Since 1988 the Center, a 501(c)3
non-profit organization, has supported thousands of individual artists
and is a community that values art-making as an essential component of a
vibrant, just and healthy society. Primarily offering artist residencies
for artists working in all disciplines from visual art media, to music
and performance, 18th Street also hosts 2-3 signature events annually
and multiple small public gatherings featuring the artists-in-residence.
Artists are selected through partnerships locally, nationally and
internationally including the Pacific Rim, Eastern and Western Europe,
Africa and Latin America. 18th Street is committed to artists who are
risk-takers and are innovatively engaging the public through their work.
18th Street Arts Center is seeking a motivated individual who will
communicate its stories and promote its programs to a wide array of art
lovers, patrons, artists and partners through our website, email, social
media and print materials.
The Outreach Director has 3 major roles:
1. Communicate strategically to our audience and the media to
further 18th Street Art Center's mission.
2. Maintain and refine 18th Street's website and social
network sites to ensure accuracy and impact.
3. Produce 18th Street's signature events to engage our
audiences (i.e. artist talks, open studio nights, screenings, etc.)
Primary Duties and Responsibilities:
* Responsible for the development of communication strategies and
day-to-day maintenance of our website, e-communications and social
* Ensure that e-content is organized and edited to make it
meaningful to our audience.
* Oversee planning and production of 2 large open studio events
annually, including securing sound and projection technicians,
performers, food vendors, and photographic documentation.
* Write and disseminate 18th Street's press releases.
* Guide the production of one annual print catalog
* Manage and administer 18th Street's image archive, keeping
both the digital and physical components up to date and available for
* Manage, hire and oversee interns, graphic designers, printers
and event technicians as needed.
* Responsible for the management of 18th Street's audio and
* Work closely with the Executive Director for the development
of and adherence to budgets.
* Must demonstrate sound knowledge of the contemporary art
field's concepts and practices.
* Minimum 3 years experience in website maintenance and social
* Successful event production track record.
* 3+ years of managing production schedules and budgets from
concept to completion.
* BA or BS, ideally with a concentration in communications,
marketing, graphic design or related field.
* Must display the ability to develop a rolling three-year
general outreach strategy and a rolling one-year specific strategy
with associated implementation plans.
* Excellent organizational skills.
* Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
* Comfortable interfacing with a broad range of people.
* Ability to think visually.
* Demonstrated ability to deliver projects on time.
* Proficient in all MS Office suite programs and Wordpress or
similar content management system.
* Comfort working in an all Mac environment
* Familiarity with Photoshop, Iphoto, Indesign beneficial
* Must work well in individual and team environments.
To be considered for this position please submit all of the following:
1. A thoughtfully written cover letter indicating why you are
the right person for this opportunity
2. Your current resume
3. A list of websites you have published or actively maintain
4. Three professional references
Please send your complete application via email to
18th Street Arts Center
from LA Culture Net