- About AMP
- AMP Community
- Art News & Media
- Online Resources
- Websites We Like
- AMP Newsletter Archives
- Search AMP
The Skirball Cultural Center seeks an accomplished communications
professional with superior editorial and project management skills, as well
as experience in media relations, to serve as Communications Manager. The
Communications Manager creates a variety of communications materials on a
tight schedule as part of a small, efficient, and close-knit team. The
position reports to the Vice President of Communications and Marketing.
- Understand and communicate institutional mission, values, and content
to both general and target markets to drive attendance, stimulate revenue,
and diversify audiences and customer/client base. Ensure that messages are
clear, compelling, consistent, and effective.
- Copywrite, copyedit, fact-check, proofread, and participate actively
in the development, production, and delivery of promotional and educational
materials as part of a collaborative staff that includes the marketing and
design teams. Materials include flyers, brochures, gallery guides, events
calendars, invitations, signage, and content for the Skirball's website,
ticketing site, e-blasts, radio spots, and social media, including posts
for SkirBlog, the institution's blog.
- Formulate and/or help to monitor editorial, design, production,
printing, and mailing schedules for all materials.
- Collaborate closely with the VP, Communications and Marketing, in
managing, monitoring, and evolving the guidelines for Skirball house style
and key messages of the institution across all materials, including social
media and ticketing site.
- Generate media coverage of the Skirball by cultivating business
relationships with the media and monitoring trends in arts/culture,
hospitality, and retail journalism. Pitch stories to appear in print,
electronic, and online media.
- Write/edit, and distribute press releases, media advisories, images,
and fact sheets. Also oversee archiving of media clippings and maintain
database of media contacts.
- Organize media previews and visits, including event flow, attendance,
and spokesperson talking points
- Assist in photography and videography shoots as needed; help to
maintain digital asset database.
- Perform all duties in accordance with the Skirball's established
mission and values.
The skills and knowledge described below are typically the result an
undergraduate degree in English, history, art history, marketing, or
communications and a minimum of 5-7 years of experience as an account
executive, publicist, editor, writer, or related position.
- A keen appreciation and understanding of the Skirball Cultural Center
mission and philosophy.
- Exceptional skills, track record, and passionate interest in
performing editorial functions, including copywriting, copyediting,
fact-checking, giving and receiving editorial feedback, and proofreading,
preferably in an arts communications and marketing setting.
- Strong familiarity with Chicago Manual of Style standards, and
superior ability to manage Skirball house style for print, electronic, web,
social media, and ticketing site communications. Superb attention to
grammar, spelling, diction, word usage, typographic treatment , and
punctuation. Firm command of standard typesetters' notations.
- Proven success in managing a fast-changing and varied workload and
completing both simple and high-profile projects on time and within budget.
Ability to meet and drive deadlines, prioritize projects, and problem-solve
independently with sound judgment.
- Excellent interpersonal skills, with a sincere commitment to
developing productive relationships, both within and beyond the
institution. Ability to thrive in in a busy, multi-sensory, and highly
collaborative work environment.
- Prior experience in securing editorial coverage. Strong working
knowledge of media relations practices in the promotion of the visual,
literary, and/or performing arts and a strong familiarity with local and
regional arts/culture media. Experience in retail and hospitality publicity
- Demonstrated organizational skills to plan media and other events.
- Positive, energetic, cooperative, can-do attitude. Self-starter
approach to completing projects, as well as improving processes and
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office and database software such as
FileMaker Pro. Experience using a content management system, Photoshop,
InDesign, and/or MailChimp (or other e-blast software) a plus.
- Ability to work a flexible schedule, including evenings and weekends.
Please send resume and cover letter, preferably by e-mail, to the address
below. Please also submit writing samples (clear photocopies, PDFs, or link
to online portfolio all acceptable) that reveal your ability to write for
diverse audiences in a variety of formats. Finalists will be required to
take a writing/editing test.
Human Resources Department
Re: Communications Manager--Communications and Marketing Dept.
Skirball Cultural Center
2701 N. Sepulveda Blvd.
Los Angeles, CA 90049
FAX: (310) 440-4595
from LA Culture Net