- About AMP
- AMP Community
- Art News & Media
- Online Resources
- Websites We Like
- AMP Newsletter Archives
- Search AMP
Arts for LA seeks a full-time Director of Development to join our dynamic, collaborative team. This position will be one of four full-time employees at the nonprofit arts advocacy organization serving the Los Angeles County region. Interested applicants are strongly urged to explore ArtsforLA.org to learn more about the organization's activities, values, and programs.
The Director of Development must be an expert fundraiser, knowledgeable in preparing proposals for municipal, county, state, and federal grants as well as private foundations and corporations. The successful candidate must also have a proven track record of developing and successfully implementing individual campaigns from both micro donors as well as high-level investors.
The position requires the use of online technology and new media knowledge, including the ability to utilize CRM technology, and familiarity with online fundraising, as well as traditional methods. He/she will also oversee and grow the organization's existing contributed income portfolio, including membership, foundation, government funding, and individual giving. Prior experience working in the arts and/or advocacy is a plus. Integrity, oral and written communications skills, and a sense of humor are valued. Grace under pressure is essential. This is a full-time, 40 hr/wk position working in the Arts for LA office, located in Downtown Los Angeles. Health, dental, vision benefits included, as well as paid parking. This position reports directly to the Executive Director. Competitive salary is commensurate with experience and the size of the organization.
About the Position
Reporting to and working in close collaboration with the Executive Director, the Director of Development is a key leadership team member and an active participant in making strategic decisions affecting Arts for LA. The Director of Development is primarily responsible for all fundraising and development activities to help Arts for LA meet its annual income goals. The organization's budget is currently $384,000.
The successful candidate will help establish relationships to build Arts for LA's visibility, impact, and financial resources. The Director of Development also will design and implement a comprehensive plan for the development of key external partnerships by cultivating individual and philanthropic support.
The Director of Development will have primary responsibility for building the infrastructure needed to grow the organization's budget through the solicitation of major gifts, grants, and special events. S/he will expand the diversity the organization's donor base/pipeline and work closely with other team members to secure funding for new and existing initiatives. The Director also will work closely with the board of directors and support them in their fundraising efforts.
• Collaborate with the ED and board members to develop and implement Arts for LA's financial strategy.
• Develop and implement a comprehensive development strategy to include corporate and foundation grants and individual support
• Have primary responsibility for development and execution of all proposals; write and archive all proposals with a long-term relationship-management approach
• Oversee research funding sources and trends, with foresight, to help position Arts for LA ahead of major funding changes or trends
• Monitor all donor information; provide and present statistical analysis to board and senior leaders
• Plan and implement all major fundraising initiatives in coordination with the ED and board
• Develop and implement a stewardship program aimed at cultivating deeper ties with donors
• Monitor and report regularly on the progress of the development program
• Manage all grant contracts including the preparation of interim and final reports
• 5-plus years of professional experience in a nonprofit organization; demonstrated success in a development function (managing and forging relationships with multiple donor sources)
• Tangible experience cultivating and expanding existing donor relationships over time
• Excellent communication skills, both written and oral; ability to influence and engage a wide range of donors and build long-term relationships
• Strong organizational skills
• Flexible and adaptable style; a leader who can positively impact both strategic and tactical fundraising initiatives
• Bachelor's degree required, Master's preferred
• High energy and passion for Arts for LA's mission is essential
• Ability to construct, articulate and implement annual strategic development plan
• Strong organizational and time management skills with exceptional attention to detail
• Microsoft Office and some donor database experience
About Arts for LA
Arts for LA is a 501(c)3 regional arts and arts education advocacy organization. Arts for LA helps communities throughout Los Angeles County advocate for greater investment in the arts. Our mission is to foster a healthy environment in which arts and culture in the region may thrive and be accessible to all in Los Angeles. To achieve this important goal, Arts for LA:
• Advocates for increased support for artists and arts organizations
• Assists local district school communities in supporting arts education plans
• Fosters dialogue among policy makers, elected officials and the public about important issues that affect the arts in local communities and across the region
• Provides individuals with clear and direct ways to support the arts
• Connects a diversity of arts stakeholders into a network of informed and mobilized arts advocates
In each of these activities, we partner with artists, arts organizations, parents, neighborhood groups, elected/appointed officials, school districts, the business community, and other stakeholders to educate the public about the important role the arts play in Los Angeles.
Interested applicants should send a cover letter and resume as attachments to Danielle Brazell, Executive Director email@example.com. We welcome questions regarding the position at the e-mail. No calls. Please use your cover letter to tell us why you are the best one for the position and why you are interested in working with Arts for LA.
Deadline for applications: 6:00pm on Friday, July 27, 2012
from LA Culture Net