- About AMP
- AMP Community
- Art News & Media
- Online Resources
- Websites We Like
- AMP Newsletter Archives
- Search AMP
Chicago public art comission
NORTHEASTERN ILLINOIS UNIVERSITY is seeking to commission a permanent artwork by a Chicagoland artist to be installed in one of our major buildings on the main campus.
All media artists welcomed to apply.
NORTHEASTERN ILLINOIS UNIVERSITY is a fully accredited public university serving more than 11,000 students in the Chicago area with an affordable, high quality academic experience. Our population is richly diverse in ethnicity, culture, age and language. We are seeking to commission a permanent artwork by a local Chicagoland artist to be installed in one of our major buildings on the main campus named after Lech Walesa, the former president of Poland. In light of the recent comments made by Lech Walesa and the topic of homophobia, the University would like to commission a work of art to reflect and memorialize the difficult situation, and the University's response with respect to President Walesa's comments. Attached is a map of the proposed artwork locations. All media artists are welcomed to apply and select the location most suitable for their work.
PROPOSAL REQUIREMENTS (label all documents with your name, address, phone and e-mail)
• Project description: Provide a detailed description of your entire proposed project
• Planned detailed budget: Please note that you will be required to provide your own travel and living accommodations, studio space and provide your own tools and technicians unless otherwise specifically agreed to by the NEIU Art Department. In addition, please indicate what technical assistance you will require and include any assistants in your budgets. Cost of all materials and time is not to surpass $20,000.
• Proposed artwork timeline: Outline a timeline of your work.
• 250 - 300 word artist statement
• 250 - 300 word statement in response to the topic of social justice and equality values
• Submit 15-20 recent works available to view in Powerpoint or Keynote format (CD or DVD). LABEL each image with title, media, dimensions and date of completion.
• Include a copy of your resume. DO NOT include any additional materials such as exhibition announcements, postcards, reviews, prints of additional work or promotional pieces.
• SASE: If mailing, please include a self-addressed, stamped envelope for return of your materials.
• Completed entries must be received by Nov 5, 2013
• The authors of the top three proposals will be invited to the University to review the archives, conduct interviews and walk the space in November 2013
• The invited artists will then submit renderings/proposals that will be shared with the University community
• The winning entry will be announced in January 2014
• Artwork installation will be complete by April 29, 2014
MAIL ALL MATERIALS TO:
Attn: Peter Goldman
Salme Harju Steinberg Fine Arts Center
Northeastern Illinois University
5500 N. St. Louis Ave.
Chicago, IL 60625
OR E-MAIL YOUR APPLICATION TO:
Attn: Vida Sacic, Assistant Professor of Art